The Amperage Fundraising Advisers team traveled to San Francisco for the 2017 AFP International Conference from April 30 – May 2. There was a lot to take in from hundreds of speakers over the three days, but we wanted to share some of the ideas we found most useful, thought provoking and insightful.
Volunteers (Jan Brazzell, Ph.D., ACFRE & Kate Ward)
- Volunteers make better givers. Seventy-four percent of volunteers give, compared to 41 percent of non-volunteers.
- More than 1/3 of nonprofit volunteers do no volunteering during the year following the campaign.
- It is important to create a strategic volunteer plan that incorporates your overall strategic and development plans.
Annual and Major Gifts
- Seventy-two percent of donors stopped giving because of over-solicitating. Time isn’t the important factor, but rather when a donor feels satisfied with his or her gift. (Penelope Burke)
- Speaking of satisfaction—how is your organization measuring it? This is an important, but untapped measure for nonprofits. Think of how often airlines, hotels, restaurants and hospitals gauge customer satisfaction. Why don’t nonprofits do the same? (Adrian Sargeant)
- Three things that make first time donors give again and again (Burke):
- They’re thanked promptly and meaningfully
- Their gifts are assigned to something specific, not the “annual fund”
- They receive reports on the impact of their gifts
- Fifty percent of donors will do research on your website. They need to easily find (Burke):
- How will their gift be used?
- What impact will their gifts have?
We were treated to keynote addresses from Shiza Shahid, co-founder of The Malala Fund, and Cleve Jones, a longtime AIDS and LGBT activist. Both emphasized the importance of empathy and storytelling when sharing your message. We look forward to sharing more and applying all we learned in our work over the next year!
Shocking Statistic: 71 percent of first time donors said their first gift was deliberately low. (Burke)
AMPERAGE Fundraising Advisers is a full-service fundraising company whose mission is to move the needle for our clients. For more information on Amperage Fundraising Advisers or to make a recommendation for a future blog post, contact us today!