If you’re not on it already, pull out your smartphone or tablet and open up your organization’s home page. Is it easy to read and navigate, or do you constantly have to zoom and scroll to find what you’re looking for? If you answered “yes” to the latter, you are now behind the curve when it comes to updating your website to ensure it’s mobile friendly.
Thankfully, over the past few years, many nonprofits have realized the importance of having a mobile friendly site and have made the appropriate investments. But in that time, having a mobile friendly site has gone from a nice feature to an absolute must. Here’s why:
- Not surprisingly, we’ve passed the tipping point of smartphone adoption. According to Pew research, 61 percent of U.S. mobile phone owners use a smartphone. And if you segment those owners further, users age 30-49 and 50-64 with incomes over $75,000 have adoption rates of 87 percent and 71 percent, respectively.
- People aren’t just using their smartphones to check Twitter and Facebook, they’re using them to check out your website. According to a recent report by Google, there are now more searches on mobile devices versus desktops.
- Speaking of Google searches, if you haven’t made the switch to mobile friendly, you’re making it harder for potential supporters to find you. Google recently changed their search algorithm to give priority to mobile friendly sites, which will now appear higher in Google searches.
- Mobile friendly matters for donations. A Blackbaud study found that the rate of visitors who made a donation after landing on a page was 59 percent higher for sites where the home page AND donation page were mobile friendly.
- Don’t forget about email! According to WealthEngine, although 40 percent of email clicks are made on a mobile device, only 11 percent of emails are optimized for mobile. If you’re using an email marketing platform, be sure to ask about this.
If you haven’t converted to a mobile friendly site, now is the time! Amperage has a team of digital experts ready to make the needed improvements to your site, resulting in more visitors and supporters.
For every 1,000 nonprofit website visitors in 2014, eight made a donation with an average gift of $76.50. (M+R)
AMPERAGE Fundraising Advisers is a full-service fundraising company whose mission is to move the needle for our clients. For more information on Amperage Fundraising Advisers or to make a recommendation for a future blog post, contact us today!