What is our biggest regret after a campaign?
Is it that we asked and were turned down? No! It’s when we hear someone say, “Why wasn’t I asked?” or “I would have liked to have been involved in that!”
Everyone wants to be needed. It’s one of our fundamental needs in life. And that includes the needs of a donor or prospective donor.
When an individual finds a connection with your project or organization, their passion is typically easy to spot. Their eyes light up. They talk passionately about your mission. They may ask for more information.
This is the green light to ask for their involvement. They want to be part of your organization, to be needed.
That involvement may grow slowly as the donor or prospect becomes more familiar with you over a number of months or even years. They like to be given opportunities to become part of your team, to get to know “you” before they may invest their money and/or time. And it’s our job to give them those opportunities.
These may include:
- Keeping them informed. This can come in the form of newsletters, emails, podcasts, websites, and of course, the thank you note.
- Asking them to help with a special event or project.
- Inviting them to join a board or special committee. Many top donors and prospects want to be part of the solution to the challenges your organization is facing.
- Requesting feedback on special projects, organization literature, and ‘what your organization can be doing better.’ This can be a scary question to ask, but this outside feedback can be invaluable and eye opening. And what better way to make your donors and prospects feel needed and valued?
- Appealing to them creatively by asking for help promoting your cause on social media, writing guest posts on your website or blog, or even interviewing them for content for a newsletter or mailing.
If a donor or prospect is willing to invest their time with you, then fully engage them. Having donors and prospects as advocates for your organization will help you raise even more awareness and dollars! Investing in a donor has the potential to pay back many times over.
AMPERAGE Fundraising Advisers is a full-service fundraising company whose mission is to move the needle for our clients. For more information on Amperage Fundraising Advisers or to make a recommendation for a future blog post, contact us today!